Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Civil Status: SINGLE


I The Single Life


It’s another boring day for me. No phone calls. No textmates. Nobody to hang out with. Arrggh. Is this how Single life should be? Naaahh.. I don’t think so. I need to be outside, enjoying every single day of my Singlehood!!..

I remember a friend of mine once said, “I want to be single again. It’s more fun being single!” I don’t know what’s got into him that he uttered those words. I can’t really say that it’s more fun being single coz I never got to experience having that “serious relationship” or “long term commitment” with someone. But from what I observed and heard from people whose in a “relationship”, most of them said they miss their Single life.

I guess being single is not an accident. Every Single person has their own reasons for not having or being in a relationship. Some will say “let destiny finds its way” or “I haven’t found Mr./Ms Right” or the ever famous line “I’m not yet ready”. But for some, like me, it is a choice! Its not because we don’t believe in destiny; it’s just that having a relationship is not a priority.

I can’t blame them for missing Single life. There are a lot of reasons to celebrate it.

  • You can have fun and stay up all night with friends without someone checking up on you every minute.
  • You can flirt with any guys/girls you want without having that guilt feeling.
  • You can dress in whatever way you feel without someone telling you “its too short!,” or “its too revealing”.
  • You don't have to tolerate another's moodiness or anger.
  • Your money is your own.. its all yours!!..
  • You don’t have to be bothered fixing your schedule just to meet up your boy/girlfriend’s time.
  • You can save a lot of money just by not texting or making phone calls to your boy/girlfriend.
  • You just have to ask your parents’ permission if you plan of partying with friends.
  • You don’t have to bring your boy/girlfriend in all of your ‘gala moments’.

You see.. Think about what you have. Nothing but time for yourself. You’re free to do what you want when you want. Well in this case I can say, Single is way too FUN!..

But of course, fun only last for a moment. Its more fulfilling if we seek Happiness rather than Fun in our Singlehood. According to Joshua Harris in his book “I kissed dating goodbye”, he defined Singleness as a season of our lives unmatched in its boundless opportunities for growth, learning, and service.

I think this is the perfect time for us to grow maturely in all aspects of our lives, learn independently, and serve God with undivided heart. We need to seek first that inner happiness within ourselves before we can commit in a “serious relationship” for only then we can be truly happy with that person and enjoy the relationship we have with them. Like what they say, “Don't depend on someone else for your happiness coz only you are ultimately responsible for your OWN happiness.”

Being single is fun, but being Single has a certain potential for growth that will never exist again at any other time in life. Grab it. Use it. Enjoy it!

Right now is an opportunity. Right now is a gift.


“Don’t do something about your Singlehood — do something with it.”




No comments: